For those who are struggling with an addiction to opioids, overcoming the physical component of their addiction is only half of the battle. Because addiction extends beyond the physical act of abusing a substance, treatment for both the physical as well as the emotional factors must be received in order for lasting recovery to take place. By incorporating individual therapy into a patient’s comprehensive treatment plan, that individual is able to uncover and process through the underlying behaviors, emotions, and stressors that may have contributed to their addiction in the first place. By working with a highly qualified counselor in a one-on-one setting, patients are able to progress in their recovery in a safe environment. The benefits of individual therapy include the following:
- Recognizing past traumatic events that may have caused an individual to turn to substances in the first place
- Developing new points of view relating to the potential, as well as the obvious, causes of substance abuse and addiction
- Forming healthy techniques for handling stressful or negative feelings
- Learning how to handle setbacks and victories that occur during treatment in healthy manners
- Creating new techniques for avoiding and/or managing situations where drug use may be available and/or tempting
- Formulating new personal goals for the present and future
By gaining perspective into one’s own emotions and behaviors, patients are able to develop a plan for the future that does not include the use of opioids. In addition to the benefits previously mentioned, the following have been reported by patients who received individual therapy as part of their treatment:
- An increase in self-confidence
- Enhanced self-esteem
- A reduction in stress levels
- Increased sense of self-awareness
Anchorage Treatment Solutions believes that individual therapy can help individuals in building the solid foundation that is necessary to successfully progress in treatment. While overcoming an addiction to morphine, prescription pain medications, and heroin can feel overwhelming, our expert counselors are specifically trained the field of addiction and understand what is necessary to achieve long-term recovery. By providing patients with a safe and supportive atmosphere, Anchorage Treatment Solutions allows patients to process their emotions in a productive manner. Sessions also allow patients to work through any issues that may arise throughout the course of treatment.
If you or someone you love would benefit from the treatment available at Anchorage Treatment Solutions, please contact us today. We are here to assist you in achieving a life free from the restraints of opioid addiction.